The Arkansas School Boards Association (ASBA) is a private, 501(c)(4) nonprofit, membership organization that provides leadership, training, advocacy and specialized services to school boards throughout Arkansas.
ASBA is an affiliate of the National School Boards Association, a federation of state school boards associations. Membership is open to school district boards, charter schools and educational service co-operatives. Businesses may apply as commercial affiliates.
“The mission of ASBA is to promote student focused leadership in public education through training, advocacy and service for local board members.”
The daily operations of ASBA are carried out by an Executive Director, who is hired by the Board of Directors, and the ASBA staff.
Specialized services include:
Workers’ compensation insurance
Property, vehicle and builders’ risk insurance
Model policy service
Multi-state discount purchasing
Board errors and omissions (legal liability) insurance
Community engagement through Study Circles
Superintendent search service
More about ASBA
The Arkansas School Boards Association emerged in 1955 as an outgrowth of the activities of the Southwest Cooperative Program in Educational Administration. This program was designed to improve local public school administration in the Southwest Region of the United States.
Through this program a number of clinics for school board members were conducted in Arkansas during 1952, 1953 and 1954. The interest stimulated by the clinics resulted in the organization of the Arkansas School Boards Association by a small group of board members who met in DeWitt to discuss the formation of an association.
Key moments in ASBA’s history:
1955 – Handbook for state’s school board members drafted in a workshop at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville; organizational meeting held in November where attendees elected officers and adopted a constitution and by-laws
1969 – ASBA office moved from Education Administration Building at the Univ. of Arkansas to the 1515 Building near the State Capitol in Little Rock; Executive Director hired on part-time basis
1972 – ASBA became autonomous organization; full-time Executive Director hired; publication of ASBA Newsletter moved from Fayetteville to the ASBA office; Certificate of Incorporation for Domestic Non-profit Corporation granted
1973 – Section 501(c)(4) tax-exempt ruling granted by Internal Revenue Service
1979 – Building at 815 Bishop purchased and offices moved
1983 – Lot purchased at 808 High Street (now Dr. M. L. King, Jr. Drive); construction on new building began in 1986
1987 – Moved into new, 5,668 square-foot, two-story building; Arkansas First Lady Hillary Clinton dedicated building
2008 – ASBA Board of Directors approved purchase of Baldwin & Shell Construction Company building at 523 South Ringo; Arkansas Children’s Hospital signed contract to purchase existing ASBA building on Dr. M. L. King, Jr. Drive
2009 – Moved into new office space at corner of 6th and Ringo Streets (523 S. Ringo) with almost double the amount of office space and available parking of previous site; office staff of 22 serve ASBA members
ASBA Building at the corner of 6th and Ringo Streets
More about ASBA
From Interstate 40: take Interstate 30 westbound toward Little Rock; then go west on Interstate 630 to the Chester exit; turn left (north) on Chester; turn left onto 6th Street; go one block; ASBA parking lot entrance is on right on 6th; you may also turn right on Ringo and enter the ASBA parking lot.
From Interstate 30: go toward downtown Little Rock and take the Interstate 630 exit; go west on Interstate 630 to the Chester exit; turn left (north) on Chester; turn left onto 6th Street; go one block; ASBA parking lot entrance is on right on 6th; you may also turn right on Ringo and enter the ASBA parking lot.